Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

Now, if you haven't read The Maze Runner (you can read my review here) and have even the slightest hope of doing so, I might suggest you stop reading this.

Don't say I didn't warn you. 

Ready? Here goes.

It's taken me a few days to figure out what to say. On the one hand, I couldn't put this book down. But on the other hand...(I have five more fingers, yes, I know) it took more of an apocalyptic turn.

The Scorch Trials picks up right where The Maze Runner leaves off. The boys (and Teresa) are safe and being cared for by the strangers that rescued them. Except the sense of safety lasts maybe two pages before you're thrust into yet another mind-boggling, unending sense of hopelessness with the realization that this "safety net" was all a ploy, just another part of the Trials. There is something even greater, something more dangerous, they have to endure - all in the name of saving the human race from total destruction.

Their next mission: to walk north 100 miles to a new "safe-haven". Sounds easy, right? Well, maybe I should mention the 100 miles is across barren wasteland scorched into oblivion by solar flares, equipped with magnificent electrical storms with no place for you to hide, unbearable and blinding heat, and diseased zombie-humans on the prowl.

I don't feel I can give an adequate review beyond this point. Mainly because I'm not a fan of zombies and I hate being scared. That being said, this book wasn't the kind that left me waking up in the middle of the night thinking every shadow was a zombie (and, consequently, making me attack my dog). No, no, no. Despite fearing whatever monstrosity lurked on the next page, I simply HAD to turn it ("click" for you Kindle readers). I had to know what was going to happen next. With all the unanswered questions, thrilling pace, plot twists, I had to go on.

Needless to say, by the end I was exhausted, worried I was going to slowly mutate into a zombie. Well, not really. But, if you like dystopian/zombie/apocalyptic novels, definitely give these a try. Even though this particular blend isn't my favorite, I'll still read the third and final installment of his series, The Death Cure which will be released October 11, 2011.

Happy reading!

***If you like YA Fantasy, check out my book, GAIA'S SECRET. The sequel is coming soon!

8 comments:

  1. Great feedback… it doesn’t sound like my typical read, and yet, I feel an itch to read it.
    Thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait. What if I have read Maze Runner, but not Scorch Trials? Are there any spoilers in this post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe I've never read The Maze Runner? That's horrible! I have this monumental list of must-read books, and that one's on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're going to jump into TITHE too! Ahhh tell me what you think! I just can't help gushing about it and would love to gush with you haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! I love it when like-minded readers post about good books. Makes my life of traking them down much easeier, thank you very much!

    Also, this is the second or third time I've heard someone recommend the Maze Runner in the past week. It went from a book I'd never heard of to one everyone is talking about. Hmmm... something tells me I should actually get 'er done and read it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand about it not being your genre yet still reading it. I read Maze Runner and I was so disturbed, I haven't decided whether or not to start Scorch Trials...well, actually I did, the first chapter that comes in the back of the first. I just felt so bad for those kids not getting a break, I guess I felt I needed to give them one. Maybe now I'll read the next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Hi Julie! Let me know if/when you read it so I can hear your thoughts. I love talking books.

    @Hi Maria! That was a great idea! Glad I'm forced to do that as I wait for book 3....let me know what you thought of Scorch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read The Maze Runner, but gosh darn I need to! This sounds super cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Please, leave a message...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...