Sunday, February 6, 2011

Update on my Writing Process

Hey everyone,

I felt it was time for an update. I'm moving on to the next chapter of my journey as a writer, and it is entitled: Panic Attacks.

Here we are. Three re-writes, countless drafts, revision after revision, a short film called "revenge of the 'delete key'", etc., and I have loved every moment of it! I also, unfortunately, now believe my characters are real people, and have been caught talking to them aloud. (Please do not call a therapist on my behalf. This is perfectly normal, I assure you.) So where does that leave me? Submissions.

Now, before I go into that, I must say a few things. I would not even be here without all of you. Many of you have read a draft along the way--some have even read multiples. But all of it--the encouragement, support, feedback, enthusiasm, critique--I can't emphasize enough how much I cherish and value it. You have all been the life preservers as I float along a dark, foreboding river to lands unknown (hopefully not to the Heart of Darkness). And Ben? Let's just say he should be sainted. It's a lot to ask someone for hours and hours of their undivided attention, and none of you hesitated when I asked. Thank you! My story is better than it ever could have been on my own, and I feel truly blessed to have such a supportive network of friends and family. And it is that support which encourages my confidence to move forward to...

Submissions. These days, every author needs an agent. Agents are quite remarkable human beings--they receive over one hundred submissions every week, somehow manage to read through all the query letters and book blurbs, and above that, market all of their current manuscripts to publishers/editors/etc. 'They' liken the Agent-Author relationship to a marriage. I've read in many places that landing an agent is probably one of the most difficult things to do, hence my next chapter: Panic Attack.

I feel like I'm sacrificing my firstborn. Seriously. I've cradled and nurtured it for about 19 months, hiding it from the authorities. Soon, I shall be querying and sending sample pages to agents that fit my genre (YA Fantasy--and no, it's not about vampires). I hope and pray that someone will love my story as much as I do, and realize how committed I am to learning and working to improve my craft. That being said, it is also very likely that I will have no such luck. Only time will tell, as time always does. And while time's doing the telling, I'm trying not to panic.

Regardless of what happens, I wanted to tell all of you thank you--for everything. I've found my passion through this process: a love (and obsession...) for creating stories.

4 comments:

  1. I'm already thinking that little girl from TRUE GRIT (the new one, not the old one) to play Gaia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! Interesting. Had to look her up though..hadn't seen the movie ;) Any other cast recommendations??? Yourself, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you Barbara. I know you have worked so hard on this book, and I really believe exciting things are in store for you and your writing career. As long as you have enjoyed your journey, it is worth every minute of diligence and frustration.

    I will be praying that the outcome...the perfect Agent, and the perfect pathway will be gifted to you soon...but God's timing is hardly ever the same pace as our own. Blessings! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Thank you, thank you! And even if nothing happens, though it would be sad, I console myself with the fact that I can write on regardless! Just for me, if need be. I've enjoyed the journey tremendously, and wouldn't change it for the world. Thank you for your encouragement and prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Please, leave a message...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...